Mixed Berry Rocky Road
3 cups chocolate, melted (home made or 85% dark chocolate)
2 cups mixed nuts and/or seeds, toasted (I used Macro Australian Macadamias, Macro Australian Pecans, Macro Natural Pistachio Kernels, Macro Natural Walnuts and Macro Certified Organic Natural Cashews)
1 cup Macro Certified Organic Frozen Raspberries
1 cup Macro Certified Organic Frozen Blueberries
1 cup Macro Certified Organic Frozen Mixed Berries
Get started by melting down your chocolate in a saucepan over very low heat. You can make your own healthier chocolate or simply use a good quality store bought dark chocolate with a cocoa content of around 85%.
In a dry fry-pan over medium heat, add your nuts and toast them, tossing frequently so they do not burn. Once they become aromatic and lightly golden brown, after about 3 to 4 minutes, remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
In a bowl, add your Macro Certified Organic Frozen Raspberries, Blueberries and Mixed Berries and toss gently to combine.
Line a small brownie pan or square cake tin with baking paper. Pour in half of the melted chocolate, cover well with the mixed nuts and macro organic berries, and then pour the remaining raining half of chocolate over the top, making sure you get even coverage and cover the nuts and berries as best as you can.
Transfer to your freezer and allow it to set completely for about 30 to 45 minutes before slicing with a warm knife and serving in generous chunks. Enjoy.
I absolutely LOVE berries.
Anyone who has made a recipe from one of my cookbooks will know this as most of my desserts in particular feature them in their wonderful, nutrient rich, colourful varieties to add a lovely sweetness to my recipes. Apart from being super flavoursome, they’re actually incredibly good for you too, so let's take a closer look at why berries are my number 1 fruit, and why frozen berries in particular are my go-to every time.
First off, we have to talk about antioxidants. Berries, such as raspberries contain Vitamin E which helps to protect your cells from free radicals*. In the simplest terms, free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage our cells when their numbers get too high, causing oxidative stress.
Secondly, they are a great fruit choice for those that follow a low carb Keto lifestyle or for those looking for a healthier way to add sweetness to their recipes.
And really importantly, they’re a source of fibre. A diet rich in healthy plant based fibre can help to promote a healthy gut*. I think we have all heard how important gut health is these days, so knowing a daily hit of berries can aid this is good news all round.
Now, I often get asked if fresh or frozen is better when it comes to berries. And I am excited to tell you that by choosing frozen, you’re gaining a whole bunch of benefits. Frozen berries are available year round, and are usually less expensive than their fresh counterparts. Now combine that with the fact that frozen berries contain similar nutrients as freshly harvested berries and it is easy to see why purchasing frozen berries is a good idea, meaning you can enjoy berries as part of your daily routine all year round.
So whether you’re a fan of Organic Blueberries straight up, Organic Raspberries as they are, or a mixed combo of Organic Strawberries, Organic Blueberries, Organic Blackberries and Organic Raspberries mixed together, here are my top 5 ways to incorporate frozen berries into your life.
Macro have recently launched a range of new frozen fruits that are a must try including Macro Certified Organic Frozen Raspberries, Blueberries, Mixed Berries and Mango - only available at Woolworths.
*As part of a healthy balanced diet
Top 5 ways to incorporate frozen berries into your daily life:
1. As they are: Before even considering any recipes, it is good to know that frozen berries can be enjoyed as they are, straight from the packet as a handy nourishing snack for anytime of the day. Simply grab a handful and let the flavours literally melt in your mouth.
2. In a smoothie: Smoothies are a great way to pack lots of nutrients into an easy-to-make meal on the go. Simply combine some good quality healthy fats like avocado or nuts, some greens like spinach or kale, a cup of berries for sweetness and your choice of nut milk or coconut water. Blitz all of the ingredients together and you’ve got yourself a fantastic nutrient dense drink to enjoy.
3. With granola: I love making a home-made toasted granola with a combination of nuts and seeds gently roasted in the oven. Rather than making that granola mixture sweet, I simply add some frozen berries and a dollop of coconut yogurt when it comes time to serve and it very quickly becomes my favourite meal of the day.
4. On Pancakes: One of my favourite post workout meals is my three ingredient protein pancakes. I simply blitz together a banana, an egg and some protein powder and fry off in my fry-pan as pancakes. When it comes time to serve, I top them with mixed frozen organic berries and the warmth of the pancakes makes the berries defrost deliciously all over them creating a lovely berry sauce that tastes great with every bite.
5. In Healthier desserts: Just like this one, my Mixed Berry Rocky Road! So simple and easy to put together with only three elements. Berries are a source of fibre and naturally sweet meaning they are great for everyone!
This post is in collaboration with Woolworths.